Skip to main content

Unsolicited Parenting Advice: What you SHOULD and SHOULDN'T listen to











Welcome to parenthood... the land of unsolicited advice... From the second you announce your pregnancy 'til.. well, does it ever end?... people, well-meaning and know-it-all alike, are quick to share their parenting advice with you. As a new parent, you might be overwhelmed and/or anxious with what to do with this new plethora of information. Do yourself a favor, and give this a read before putting too much weight on what other people think.

DON'T listen to people's opinions of your child's name. This is why people somewhere along the line decided to not share the name of their little bambino-to-be. The fact that I spent nanosecond(s) caring what people would think of Beulah's name when I was pregnant is laughable now, as I could give two you-know-whats what anyone thinks about my precious baby girl's name. But pregnancy does weird things to your brain and can trick you into thinking you care. Do you know that I have actually had grown-a$$ adults border-line make fun of my kid's name? Try picking on someone your own size, and also learning some dang manners!!!

DO listen to people's polite OR rude advice on carseat safety. The guidelines on car seat safety don't discriminate and are not ever to someone's discretion. I have found that people that have an eye for car seat safety are often very passionate about sharing the rules. Swallow your pride, and listen. Car seat safety is no joke.

DON'T listen to extremes... "ALWAYS" do this or "NEVER" do that. "NEVER use Tylenol"  (Check out all the comments on my http://www.pinterest.com/pin/28358672628299347/ - people so make me laugh.) or "Always put socks on your baby" ...  Unless it's obvious and correct, like "always feed your baby" or "always put your baby in the carseat when you are in the car."

DO listen to your friend's (or strangers on Amazon) reviews on products. There are about a trillion different baby products out there. Learn from your friends! Scour Amazon for the 4 star sippy cup. Because all of them but 2 (slight exaggeration) LEAK. EVERYWHERE.

DON'T listen to people's opinions on how to feed your baby. This isn't just breast milk vs. formula. Or cow's milk vs almond or coconut milk. It's also about when to introduce solids or whether or not you want to put rice cereal in the bottle. First time you complain about not getting any sleep I guarantee you someone will suggest putting rice cereal in your cherub's bottle. Just do what you want to do and how you want to do it with feeding your baby. Assuming safety of course, and your pediatrician's recommendations.

DO listen to your pediatrician. If you aren't listening to your pediatrician, you need to get one you can listen to. There are many different approaches to caring for your little cherub, but some pediatricians will just not go for parents opting not to vaccinate (I'm choosing to keep my opinion on THAT to myself) or things like that. So, just choose a pediatrician who you can listen to, and listen to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to be a Housewife (Without Feeling Like a Slave)

Now, don't get the wrong idea here... I'm not sending a passive aggressive message out there to men (do men even read blogs?) that women hate doing house duties. We love it - right, ladies??? (wink, wink) And I'm not complaining either. (Although I do despise laundry, I love a clean house; so it's a double-edged sword.) One thing I'm BIG on is positive thinking . Sometimes, it is hard to be positive if you are feeling overwhelmed with dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking... oh yeah... LIVING IN and maintaining a home. So, I thought sharing my thoughts on this topic could maybe help some disgruntled wifeys out there. 1) Don't hate, delegate - I'm a huge fan of starting young with manageable tasks around the home. There are a bunch of lists floating around the interwebs of chore lists for kiddos, and a lot of them are pretty dang silly (one suggests letting a 2-3 year old put dishes away, um no!)  -- but my favorite one is from Kids Activities Blog.  2) B

Maybe It's Just Easier To Be Lonely

As a busy, working and social mom of two young hellions, I am constantly teetering on the balance of completely and utterly (and not fabulously, might I add) losing my sh-word. Man, what a starter. What an intro! Hello, welcome to my blog. My name is Tara, and I’m completely crazy. I use the term “hot mess” way more than socially acceptable; in fact, there are times that I use the phrase, in reference to myself, and I can literally HEAR someone’s thoughts of annoyance in me. But, I digress. But, it’s true! I’m about one bad day away from flipping out hardcore. Part of it is my innate nature to be involved in *everything.* Combine that with my inherent disability to saying “no,” and it’s a recipe for… you guessed it… “hot-mess-ness.” Totally a word I made up and use… a lot. As I look at my planner (that I am obsessed with - who else have to have their lives written down somewhere or else they have NO IDEA what they are supposed to do that day?!), I realize…. “Dang, I am

Tips on Survival with a Sick Baby

Any parent can tell you that life can be turned upside by a sick child. Sleepless nights, lots of crying (you and the baby!), routines are thrown out the window... it's just for the birds. And to make it even worse, you as a parent are playing a guessing game of what is ailing your child specifically in some instances. So, I don't know about y'all, but this winter season has been a real fun one for Boo. We have had 4 ear infections, a stomach bug, and RSV. I don't even know how to quantify the runny noses, because it has been constant. I know that I am lucky that she is otherwise healthy, so I will go knock on a million pieces of wood now. I have learned from experience (at least 5 trips to the emergency room and 2 hospital stays unfortunately) that earaches/throw up/fever hits in the middle of the night 9 out of 10 times, and at least the first time, you are GROSSLY unprepared. I hope this blog post can change the second part for some new parents out there. (Edit