Skip to main content

Five Tips for Perfect Family Photos

Hooray! Hibernation is almost over, which means Spring is around the corner. Among the many things that this means is you can go outside without bundling you and your kids up in a million layers, and for some it may mean family photo time!!!

Family photos are always a stressful time for me. If it's just me in a photo shoot, that is one thing, but once we start adding family members, I get a little wigged out. I decided to pick the brains of some of my friends who just happen to also be photographers to find out what the pros think are must-knows for family photos.





1. DO scour the social medias for examples of family photos you like, and bring them with you to the shoot. Believe me, it is way easier for a photographer to see a creatively-posed picture with props and be able to recreate it, than for the photographer to listen to you try to describe it. This is much like bringing a picture of a desired hair style to your hairdresser. Not doing so can be a not fun game of operator... what you started with will not be what the end result is.

2. DON'T wear white. Now, don't get all upset if you have your heart set on a pair of fabulous white jeans; it might still work. My cousin Denise runs Flair Photos out of Groves, Texas. What she had to say about white is perfect, so why recreate the wheel? "Well, my biggest fear in the world is for a family to show up all wearing white shirts and jeans. I always tell people absolutely no white. Not only does it wash them out, but it limits our editing options because it tends to be too bright." There you go, ladies and gents. Straight from the horse's mouth.

3. DO coordinate, but don't be overly matchy. Is "matchy" a word? No? I don't care. Everyone knows what being too matchy means and, more importantly, what it looks like. The extreme of this would be two or more family members wearing pieces of the same outfit. This is just not okay, y'all. Please don't. But you can coordinate. For this, I'd like to showcase the perfect example of coordinating colors.
Photo by Flair Photos 

So, here is the perfect example of coordinating outfits using bright colors and accessories in this photo by Flair Photos. Who would have ever thought that yellow and pink would go so wonderfully together?!? And those little cherubs?!? Adorable.









4. DO accessorize. How do you make coordination work? The answer is accessories. My photographer pal Suzie Bell, who did my first pinup shoot, also rocks the house with family photos. Suzie on accessories: "Accessories are important and can add that perfect touch like a scarf, little boys hat, or knee socks for little girls." I personally love to search etsy for unique accessories to make an outfit unforgettable. This does take a little bit of planning, as you can't shop etsy the night before a photo shoot and get everything delivered to you in time. So... plan ahead. :)

5. DO plan. Look up those pose ideas on Pinterest, research amazing locations (just steer clear of railroad tracks - too cliche), and definitely plan outfits. Photo shoots are not something that you can usually wing, and it turn out okay. On the day of the shoot, you want everyone to be comfortable and relaxed, which to me means one thing: PLAN IT ALL OUT, SISTA. If you are reading this blog, then you are on the right track with the planning.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to be a Housewife (Without Feeling Like a Slave)

Now, don't get the wrong idea here... I'm not sending a passive aggressive message out there to men (do men even read blogs?) that women hate doing house duties. We love it - right, ladies??? (wink, wink) And I'm not complaining either. (Although I do despise laundry, I love a clean house; so it's a double-edged sword.) One thing I'm BIG on is positive thinking . Sometimes, it is hard to be positive if you are feeling overwhelmed with dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking... oh yeah... LIVING IN and maintaining a home. So, I thought sharing my thoughts on this topic could maybe help some disgruntled wifeys out there. 1) Don't hate, delegate - I'm a huge fan of starting young with manageable tasks around the home. There are a bunch of lists floating around the interwebs of chore lists for kiddos, and a lot of them are pretty dang silly (one suggests letting a 2-3 year old put dishes away, um no!)  -- but my favorite one is from Kids Activities Blog.  2) B

Maybe It's Just Easier To Be Lonely

As a busy, working and social mom of two young hellions, I am constantly teetering on the balance of completely and utterly (and not fabulously, might I add) losing my sh-word. Man, what a starter. What an intro! Hello, welcome to my blog. My name is Tara, and I’m completely crazy. I use the term “hot mess” way more than socially acceptable; in fact, there are times that I use the phrase, in reference to myself, and I can literally HEAR someone’s thoughts of annoyance in me. But, I digress. But, it’s true! I’m about one bad day away from flipping out hardcore. Part of it is my innate nature to be involved in *everything.* Combine that with my inherent disability to saying “no,” and it’s a recipe for… you guessed it… “hot-mess-ness.” Totally a word I made up and use… a lot. As I look at my planner (that I am obsessed with - who else have to have their lives written down somewhere or else they have NO IDEA what they are supposed to do that day?!), I realize…. “Dang, I am

Tips on Survival with a Sick Baby

Any parent can tell you that life can be turned upside by a sick child. Sleepless nights, lots of crying (you and the baby!), routines are thrown out the window... it's just for the birds. And to make it even worse, you as a parent are playing a guessing game of what is ailing your child specifically in some instances. So, I don't know about y'all, but this winter season has been a real fun one for Boo. We have had 4 ear infections, a stomach bug, and RSV. I don't even know how to quantify the runny noses, because it has been constant. I know that I am lucky that she is otherwise healthy, so I will go knock on a million pieces of wood now. I have learned from experience (at least 5 trips to the emergency room and 2 hospital stays unfortunately) that earaches/throw up/fever hits in the middle of the night 9 out of 10 times, and at least the first time, you are GROSSLY unprepared. I hope this blog post can change the second part for some new parents out there. (Edit