Skip to main content

Citrus Brussel Sprouts

I am one of those weird people who LOVE brussel sprouts. Like, Tara-and-brussel-sprouts-sittin'-in-a tree-type love. So, for me to say this recipe is delicious doesn't necessarily say much, but trust me y'all... it's really good. 

Last week, I was really happy to see a decent selection and quality of produce at our local commissary. It is hit or miss with the produce section. They had beautiful brussel sprouts (somehow calling food beautiful makes me feel old), so I filled up a bag and decided to make them for dinner that night with these spicy chicken sweet peppers.

Instead of my go-to shredded brussel sprouts with pancetta and shallots, I decided to venture outside the box, and boy am I glad I did!! Ever since I made the caldo de pollo that called for lime juice at the end, I've had this obsession with lime juice. (Interesting fact: I also was obsessed with lime juice during my pregnancy with Beulah.) I just love how it brings this different flavor to foods and makes me feel like it's NOT below freezing outside. 

What you will need:

- 15 brussel sprouts 
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1-2 limes

This will create about 6 servings. (or 3 really big ones if you are in my family) :) 













1. Cut the base off of each brussel sprout and cut vertically into 4-5 chunks per brussel sprouts. This will give you the desired "shredded" affect. Dump into a mixing bowl.

2. Dice 1/2 a white onion and also 2 garlic cloves. Marry the onion and garlic with the brussels, toss it a little, and let them hang out for a while, while you get a pan ready.

3. Using a decent-sized pan, put about a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan, swirl it around to get the base of the pan oiled. Put the stove top on a low heat. 

4. Dump the brussels mixture into the pan, give it a toss to coat the olive oil ever so slightly (if you use too much olive oil it will get mushy), squeeze the juice of 1-2 limes (depending on how citrus-y you want it) and put on the lid. Let it cook on low (very important because you don't want to overcook) for about 6-7 minutes.

5. Stir occasionally, and remove from heat when brussels have reached their desired texture. I personally like my brussels a little crunchy, so I don't cook mine to death. 

Enjoy!

P.S. I also just had some leftovers of this with my lunch today, and it was still delicious. Yay!

Comments

  1. hmmmmmmm, might actually try this! I like, not love, brussel sprouts - but this sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you did Ann! I hope you liked it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to be a Housewife (Without Feeling Like a Slave)

Now, don't get the wrong idea here... I'm not sending a passive aggressive message out there to men (do men even read blogs?) that women hate doing house duties. We love it - right, ladies??? (wink, wink) And I'm not complaining either. (Although I do despise laundry, I love a clean house; so it's a double-edged sword.) One thing I'm BIG on is positive thinking . Sometimes, it is hard to be positive if you are feeling overwhelmed with dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking... oh yeah... LIVING IN and maintaining a home. So, I thought sharing my thoughts on this topic could maybe help some disgruntled wifeys out there. 1) Don't hate, delegate - I'm a huge fan of starting young with manageable tasks around the home. There are a bunch of lists floating around the interwebs of chore lists for kiddos, and a lot of them are pretty dang silly (one suggests letting a 2-3 year old put dishes away, um no!)  -- but my favorite one is from Kids Activities Blog.  2) B

Maybe It's Just Easier To Be Lonely

As a busy, working and social mom of two young hellions, I am constantly teetering on the balance of completely and utterly (and not fabulously, might I add) losing my sh-word. Man, what a starter. What an intro! Hello, welcome to my blog. My name is Tara, and I’m completely crazy. I use the term “hot mess” way more than socially acceptable; in fact, there are times that I use the phrase, in reference to myself, and I can literally HEAR someone’s thoughts of annoyance in me. But, I digress. But, it’s true! I’m about one bad day away from flipping out hardcore. Part of it is my innate nature to be involved in *everything.* Combine that with my inherent disability to saying “no,” and it’s a recipe for… you guessed it… “hot-mess-ness.” Totally a word I made up and use… a lot. As I look at my planner (that I am obsessed with - who else have to have their lives written down somewhere or else they have NO IDEA what they are supposed to do that day?!), I realize…. “Dang, I am

How Not to Raise an Asshole

Guys, you know how I am. I tell it like I see it. And these days, I see a LOT of two things: asshole adults and asshole kids who will grow up to be asshole adults. Not raising an asshole requires work , so if you aren't interested in some blood, sweat and tears, then close your browser, and don't forget to write a rude comment on your way out. Let me preface this by saying: these suggestions are being made from my professional side, not my parenting side--- let's be real, the verdict is still out on whether my kids will grow up to be assholes or not (just kidding... over my dead body will they be entitled, dependent adults)... but still, the important distinction of point-of-view needs to be mentioned. Here are some ways not to raise an asshole: 1) Teach them how to do stuff. You know how kids don't come with an instruction manual? Well, neither does growing up. Kids learn from example how to do almost everything - show them how to do things! Don't just