Skip to main content

{Holiday Grub} Texas Caviar

This original Texas Caviar recipe creates a colorful, cold and crunchy side with zesty, fresh flavor. Black-eyed peas, mushrooms, celery, tomato and onion marinate in flavorful Italian dressing, making an easy and popular dish that is sure to become a family favorite.

Ok everyone. I should have gotten this up on the blog, like, a week ago, but in order to provide delicious, scrumptious pictures I would have had to make it, and then of course eat it, and that would have (selfishly) ruined it for me for Thanksgiving because I wouldn't be craving it anymore. YES. I seriously plan out my craving vs. eating schedule and weigh it's importance higher than my editorial schedule. I am pregnant, ok?

So, there are a lot of impostor Texas Caviar recipes online and on Pinterest that add silly things like mayonnaise, peppers or corn. While all of that is good and well, it needs to stay the HELL out of my Texas Caviar. This recipe is an original, from my wonderful grandmother Maxine, and there are simply no substitutes that will be tolerated by my palate - ever. (I am so dramatic.) Unlike the other Texas Caviar recipes that call it a dip (as in with a chip), this dish is meant to be served as a cold and crunchy side, along side other holiday favorites such as dressing, green bean casserole, etc. OMG, my mouth is seriously watering while I am typing; I have a problem.

First, the ingredients:

- 2 cans of plain black-eyed peas DRAINED AND RINSED * (don't get adventurous and cook your own. The canned ones are just fine for this dish. Just make sure you don't get any with other stuff in it, like jalapenos, etc.)

- 1 can of mushrooms DRAINED (pieces and stems are fine, I prefer the ones that are salted, but if you get the ones with no salt added, you can season with salt to your liking at the end.)

- 1 large tomato diced (or the equivalent. My mom swears by the Campari tomatoes in the plastic packages because they are always good and fresh tasting. I used Campari tomatoes and used 3 of them because they were a little on the small side.)

- 1 cup of diced celery (I honestly added more than that, I did 5 stalks because the celery is where you get the addictive crunch in this dish, plus the color is lovely.)

- white/yellow onion diced to taste (This also provides the crunch, but a little goes a long way, so I cut only about 1/4 of an onion)

- 8 oz bottle of Italian dressing *

- Coarse sea salt as needed

Directions:

The most important things I put an asterisk by in the ingredients. One sad year I did not drain my black-eyed peas and this dish was ruined. I dump those bad boys in a colander and let them rinse very well in the sink under running water.




















After you drain and rinse the peas, you can be as neat about chopping up the vegetables as you would like. I tend to like everything relatively the same size in a dish like this, so I used the pea as a size comparison and split the celery stalks length-wise before chopping them up. I also chopped the drained mushrooms up roughly because some of them were really big.

Everything goes into a medium sized bowl. Give it a stir.

Add the Italian dressing, an entire 8 oz bottle, and stir it up. This is another thing I am particular about. Don't get too fancy with the Italian dressing y'all. This kind is the go-to kind. I'm sure there are better ones for your salad-eating purposes, but for your Texas Caviar purposes, go Wish Bone or go home.


At this time you can give it a little taste test, and if you wish you can add some coarse sea salt if you feel it necessary. I added just a couple pinches, as my canned mushrooms didn't have salt added to them (rude). 

Your Texas Caviar yummy deliciousness looks like this: 

Isn't it pretty? It's perfect.... almost. Another INTEGRAL step is that this dish tastes 1,000 times better if you let it set and marinate (covered of course) in the refrigerator for at least a couple hours. I'm letting mine set for 24 hours... While I go in and "taste test" it every couple hours just to make sure the flavors are marinating well. Wink, wink. 

Flavor close up:

Maybe I have a problem. I'm just in love with this dish. I hope that you like it too. 

GOBBLE TIL YOU WOBBLE!
XOXOX


Comments

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to be a Housewife (Without Feeling Like a Slave)

Now, don't get the wrong idea here... I'm not sending a passive aggressive message out there to men (do men even read blogs?) that women hate doing house duties. We love it - right, ladies??? (wink, wink) And I'm not complaining either. (Although I do despise laundry, I love a clean house; so it's a double-edged sword.) One thing I'm BIG on is positive thinking . Sometimes, it is hard to be positive if you are feeling overwhelmed with dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking... oh yeah... LIVING IN and maintaining a home. So, I thought sharing my thoughts on this topic could maybe help some disgruntled wifeys out there. 1) Don't hate, delegate - I'm a huge fan of starting young with manageable tasks around the home. There are a bunch of lists floating around the interwebs of chore lists for kiddos, and a lot of them are pretty dang silly (one suggests letting a 2-3 year old put dishes away, um no!)  -- but my favorite one is from Kids Activities Blog.  2) B

Maybe It's Just Easier To Be Lonely

As a busy, working and social mom of two young hellions, I am constantly teetering on the balance of completely and utterly (and not fabulously, might I add) losing my sh-word. Man, what a starter. What an intro! Hello, welcome to my blog. My name is Tara, and I’m completely crazy. I use the term “hot mess” way more than socially acceptable; in fact, there are times that I use the phrase, in reference to myself, and I can literally HEAR someone’s thoughts of annoyance in me. But, I digress. But, it’s true! I’m about one bad day away from flipping out hardcore. Part of it is my innate nature to be involved in *everything.* Combine that with my inherent disability to saying “no,” and it’s a recipe for… you guessed it… “hot-mess-ness.” Totally a word I made up and use… a lot. As I look at my planner (that I am obsessed with - who else have to have their lives written down somewhere or else they have NO IDEA what they are supposed to do that day?!), I realize…. “Dang, I am

Tips on Survival with a Sick Baby

Any parent can tell you that life can be turned upside by a sick child. Sleepless nights, lots of crying (you and the baby!), routines are thrown out the window... it's just for the birds. And to make it even worse, you as a parent are playing a guessing game of what is ailing your child specifically in some instances. So, I don't know about y'all, but this winter season has been a real fun one for Boo. We have had 4 ear infections, a stomach bug, and RSV. I don't even know how to quantify the runny noses, because it has been constant. I know that I am lucky that she is otherwise healthy, so I will go knock on a million pieces of wood now. I have learned from experience (at least 5 trips to the emergency room and 2 hospital stays unfortunately) that earaches/throw up/fever hits in the middle of the night 9 out of 10 times, and at least the first time, you are GROSSLY unprepared. I hope this blog post can change the second part for some new parents out there. (Edit