On the 82,583th day of winter, we were sick of all of our go-to soups and casseroles, so my husband brought back this favorite from our childhoods - the sloppy joe.
(I'm not going to tell you what my husband calls these, but it rhymes with joes. and starts with an "h") (.... sloppy _______) (get it?!?!?!) Anyway. This was delicious, but not for the faint of heart on the spice. It's not too hot, but if you don't like the heat, just don't put in the habanero. But then, you can't call them sloppy habanero joes; you'll have to call them what my husband does. Sorry, those are the rules.
- 2 lbs ground chicken (or you could use turkey or beef)
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup of ketchup (we used the organic stuff)
- 1/4 cup of chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped habanero pepper *optional *but it's good
- 8 hamburger buns
Easiest Cooking Directions Ever:
- Brown the meat of choice in a skillet. Drain the juices.
- Add all of your ingredients, and stir well.
- Let cook on low until vegetables cooked to desired consistency.
- Serve on buns with plenty of napkins!