Skip to main content

Tips on Survival with a Sick Baby

Any parent can tell you that life can be turned upside by a sick child. Sleepless nights, lots of crying (you and the baby!), routines are thrown out the window... it's just for the birds. And to make it even worse, you as a parent are playing a guessing game of what is ailing your child specifically in some instances.

So, I don't know about y'all, but this winter season has been a real fun one for Boo. We have had 4 ear infections, a stomach bug, and RSV. I don't even know how to quantify the runny noses, because it has been constant. I know that I am lucky that she is otherwise healthy, so I will go knock on a million pieces of wood now.

I have learned from experience (at least 5 trips to the emergency room and 2 hospital stays unfortunately) that earaches/throw up/fever hits in the middle of the night 9 out of 10 times, and at least the first time, you are GROSSLY unprepared. I hope this blog post can change the second part for some new parents out there.

(Editor's note: I am NOT a doctor! So, please do not take any of this advice as professional opinion. If your precious cherub is sick, call your pediatrician. If your child is super sick, just take their sweet baby self to the ER. ALWAYS better safe than sorry. That's my motto.)

Medicine Dosage
The first super important thing to know as a parent of a germ-collector is the appropriate dosage for Infant Tylenol and Infant Ibuprofen. The dosage is based on weight, so it is of course helpful to know what your baby weighs! There is nothing more stressful than trying to look up the dosage online whilst you have a screaming baby in your lap at 3 am. Just TYPING that sentence gave me high blood pressure.

So, here is a weight-based dosage chart for Tylenol for your reference! Remember that you need to check with your pediatrician before giving your baby any medicine. You can give Tylenol every 4-6 hours.


Thankfully, Infant's Advil (Ibuprofen) for ages 6-23 months has the dosage listed on the box (and bottle). Thanks for nothing TYLENOL! :) jay kay. 

Other helpful tips

1. Get extra diapers and your butt cream protectant of choice. (We use A&D ointment with every.single.diaper.change.) When babies are sick, they often poop a lot more (frequency and amount). Their little bottoms can get chapped, and diaper changes can be painful. 

2. Get a rectal thermometer. A rectal temperature is the most accurate way to know whether or not your babe has a fever. The temperature reading if taken rectally will be a little higher if it would be if taken orally, so beware. 

3. Have a stash of Pedialyte in the pantry. Pedialyte is worth its weight in gold for puking and pooping little babies. It will keep them hydrated, and babies (my baby anyway) love it. 

4. Get a cool mist humidifier for your babies' room. Don't wait until you are awoken by an upset, snotty, stuffy baby! We got one for our babies' room, and it has been turned on every night since November, illness present or not. 

5. Two words- snot sucker. The nasal aspirator bulbs are gross because you can't clean the inside of them, so I recommend the Nasal Frida. The snot sucker is to be used in conjunction with Saline spray. You spray the saline spray in their nostrils, then you use the nasal frida to suck everything out. 

6. If your baby suffers from an ear infection, you might want to try elevating his/her head when they are sleeping to relieve ear pressure. Until my baby outgrew hers, we would let her sleep in the swing overnight because it kept her head elevated. I have also heard of parents putting a pillow or rolled-up blanket UNDER the mattress to elevate it slightly on one side, but that is to your own discretion. 

7. This is an obvious one, but be patient with your little cherub. Having a sick baby is hard on everyone, but don't forget who the one feeling like crap is: your sweet baby. She wants to sleep, she wants to feel better - I promise. We are the lucky ones that get to love them back to health, and I say that with NO sarcasm. It is way easy to get frustrated ---so remember that, and take turns with your significant other if you can. 

8. Get an Angelcare monitor. Or breathing monitor otherwise. It just makes you feel better as a parent to know that they are moving around and breathing ok in their crib when you aren't standing over them watching them breath. (I know I am NOT the only parent that does this!)

I'll be making a list of specific recommend items to have on hand during sick season (read: basically, until your kid is 5). But that is for another night!


Comments

  1. Your previous experiences must've taught you a lot about parenting. I can only imagine how hard it is for you to take care of your sick baby during the winter. Thanks for the tips, BTW. It’s so nice of you to remind everyone that a pedia’s help should be prioritized more than anything else. Better to be safe than sorry, indeed!

    Liberty Swyers @ US HealthWorks

    ReplyDelete
  2. A white sock filled with course sea salt, that is warmed, can help with ear infections as well. It has to be course sea salt though. Regular table salt doesn't work the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you do with the sock? My 15 month old is on his 3rd ear infection in 2 months

      Delete
  3. Those tips would come in handy during the flu season. It looks like you have developed some kind of an expertise for this matter. Albeit helpful, I hope you wouldn’t have to make use of it often. Nonetheless, thank you for sharing, Tara!

    Malachi Cates @ Indian Crest Pediatrics

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tylenol dosage chart I received from my pediatrician had much lower doses than the ones you posted. It seems a bit dangerous to be giving out medical advice, especially for an infant. ALWAYS speak to your pediatrician about dosage before giving medicine to your child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely always do check with your ped before giving any medicine. I would also add that the dosage is different for different concentrations and I have also discovered that in Canada the recommended dosage is different. I don't intend for anyone to take a mom blog as medical advice, but merely a resource.

      Delete
  5. It's true. A child getting sick is bound to send a family into a tailspin; mainly because it leads to a lot more things one has to worry about. Anyway, these tips are certainly a lot of help. But if it still persists after a day or so, it might be best to consult a pediatrician about the matter. Take care!

    Paul Quinn @ MedCare Pediatric

    ReplyDelete

  6. It's a very interesting and helpful information. Thank you for sharing.
    regards,
    Healthcare Jobs

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is completely INACCURATE. It is very different from what is on the box..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It matches what my box says.. I believe that dosage me be different in different countries... Also, make sure it's the same concentration. Also, I'm trusting that parents will look at the dosage on their medicine bottles and not use the optional print out if it doesn't match your medicine :)

      Delete
  8. Im a Nurse in a pediatric ER in Florida, the chart is not as accurate as it should be. The pediatric dose for Tylenol is 10-15mg/kg Example: If your child weighs 35lbs in kg they weigh 15.8kg. So the accurate amount of Tylenol to give if the bottle concentration says 160mg/5mL is 158-237mg which is equivalent to 4.9-7.4mL every 4-6 hours.

    My recommendation: Use the 15mg/kg for fever, it usually keeps the fever away longer. Also tylenol takes longer than ibuprofen/motrin to work, so you'll see the fever go up before it starts to come down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My website is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from some of the information you present here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Regards!網上廣告

    ReplyDelete
  10. tylenol dosage description depends on the type of product you are using (if any description is available). always use tylenol for babies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to be a Housewife (Without Feeling Like a Slave)

Now, don't get the wrong idea here... I'm not sending a passive aggressive message out there to men (do men even read blogs?) that women hate doing house duties. We love it - right, ladies??? (wink, wink) And I'm not complaining either. (Although I do despise laundry, I love a clean house; so it's a double-edged sword.) One thing I'm BIG on is positive thinking . Sometimes, it is hard to be positive if you are feeling overwhelmed with dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking... oh yeah... LIVING IN and maintaining a home. So, I thought sharing my thoughts on this topic could maybe help some disgruntled wifeys out there. 1) Don't hate, delegate - I'm a huge fan of starting young with manageable tasks around the home. There are a bunch of lists floating around the interwebs of chore lists for kiddos, and a lot of them are pretty dang silly (one suggests letting a 2-3 year old put dishes away, um no!)  -- but my favorite one is from Kids Activities Blog.  2) B

Maybe It's Just Easier To Be Lonely

As a busy, working and social mom of two young hellions, I am constantly teetering on the balance of completely and utterly (and not fabulously, might I add) losing my sh-word. Man, what a starter. What an intro! Hello, welcome to my blog. My name is Tara, and I’m completely crazy. I use the term “hot mess” way more than socially acceptable; in fact, there are times that I use the phrase, in reference to myself, and I can literally HEAR someone’s thoughts of annoyance in me. But, I digress. But, it’s true! I’m about one bad day away from flipping out hardcore. Part of it is my innate nature to be involved in *everything.* Combine that with my inherent disability to saying “no,” and it’s a recipe for… you guessed it… “hot-mess-ness.” Totally a word I made up and use… a lot. As I look at my planner (that I am obsessed with - who else have to have their lives written down somewhere or else they have NO IDEA what they are supposed to do that day?!), I realize…. “Dang, I am

How Not to Raise an Asshole

Guys, you know how I am. I tell it like I see it. And these days, I see a LOT of two things: asshole adults and asshole kids who will grow up to be asshole adults. Not raising an asshole requires work , so if you aren't interested in some blood, sweat and tears, then close your browser, and don't forget to write a rude comment on your way out. Let me preface this by saying: these suggestions are being made from my professional side, not my parenting side--- let's be real, the verdict is still out on whether my kids will grow up to be assholes or not (just kidding... over my dead body will they be entitled, dependent adults)... but still, the important distinction of point-of-view needs to be mentioned. Here are some ways not to raise an asshole: 1) Teach them how to do stuff. You know how kids don't come with an instruction manual? Well, neither does growing up. Kids learn from example how to do almost everything - show them how to do things! Don't just