Skip to main content

Deconstructed Tomato Salad

Hi! My name is Tara, and I watch too many cooking shows. Apparently not enough though, because I'm fairly certain that the title of this recipe is false advertisement. Really I created a tomato salad to go with dinner the other night, and in doing so, I realized that many of the ingredients I used where also what we used to make our delicious salsa... so hence the term "deconstructed" came into play.

Anyway, it's delicious and fresh, so you shouldn't care! It is also easy to make, so that is a plus as well.

So, this is super simple. You are going to grab these items:

- 2-3 plum tomatoes
(I like these because they are firm and hold up well when you dice them up. Also minimal tomato guts in these.)

- 1/2 large white onion

- 1-2 jalapenos
(cored or not cored, depending on your preference of heat, I left mine uncored because we like it hot.)

- 1/2 green bell pepper

- 1 garlic clove
(don't want it to be too garlic-y, so I left it at one)

- olive oil

- balsamic vinegar

- white wine vinegar

The directions are simple.

1) Roughly dice up all the vegetables, and put in a small mixing bowl.

2) Add a tablespoon of each: olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

3) Add a 1/2 a tablespoon of white wine vinegar.

4) Stir it all together; salt to taste; cover it up with plastic wrap, and put in the refrigerator.

5) Let it set for 30-60 minutes.

ENJOY!!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to be a Housewife (Without Feeling Like a Slave)

Now, don't get the wrong idea here... I'm not sending a passive aggressive message out there to men (do men even read blogs?) that women hate doing house duties. We love it - right, ladies??? (wink, wink) And I'm not complaining either. (Although I do despise laundry, I love a clean house; so it's a double-edged sword.) One thing I'm BIG on is positive thinking . Sometimes, it is hard to be positive if you are feeling overwhelmed with dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking... oh yeah... LIVING IN and maintaining a home. So, I thought sharing my thoughts on this topic could maybe help some disgruntled wifeys out there. 1) Don't hate, delegate - I'm a huge fan of starting young with manageable tasks around the home. There are a bunch of lists floating around the interwebs of chore lists for kiddos, and a lot of them are pretty dang silly (one suggests letting a 2-3 year old put dishes away, um no!)  -- but my favorite one is from Kids Activities Blog.  2) B

Maybe It's Just Easier To Be Lonely

As a busy, working and social mom of two young hellions, I am constantly teetering on the balance of completely and utterly (and not fabulously, might I add) losing my sh-word. Man, what a starter. What an intro! Hello, welcome to my blog. My name is Tara, and I’m completely crazy. I use the term “hot mess” way more than socially acceptable; in fact, there are times that I use the phrase, in reference to myself, and I can literally HEAR someone’s thoughts of annoyance in me. But, I digress. But, it’s true! I’m about one bad day away from flipping out hardcore. Part of it is my innate nature to be involved in *everything.* Combine that with my inherent disability to saying “no,” and it’s a recipe for… you guessed it… “hot-mess-ness.” Totally a word I made up and use… a lot. As I look at my planner (that I am obsessed with - who else have to have their lives written down somewhere or else they have NO IDEA what they are supposed to do that day?!), I realize…. “Dang, I am

How Not to Raise an Asshole

Guys, you know how I am. I tell it like I see it. And these days, I see a LOT of two things: asshole adults and asshole kids who will grow up to be asshole adults. Not raising an asshole requires work , so if you aren't interested in some blood, sweat and tears, then close your browser, and don't forget to write a rude comment on your way out. Let me preface this by saying: these suggestions are being made from my professional side, not my parenting side--- let's be real, the verdict is still out on whether my kids will grow up to be assholes or not (just kidding... over my dead body will they be entitled, dependent adults)... but still, the important distinction of point-of-view needs to be mentioned. Here are some ways not to raise an asshole: 1) Teach them how to do stuff. You know how kids don't come with an instruction manual? Well, neither does growing up. Kids learn from example how to do almost everything - show them how to do things! Don't just