Today, I made some mashed garlic cauliflower to go with our steak dinner. What goes awesome with steak? Obviously the all-American answer is potatoes, but what if you can't even look at a carb without blowing up (like me)? Or maybe you are looking for a more paleo-friendly option? Look no further!! I have made mashed cauliflower several times, and I *think* I might have finally perfected it. And to make it even better, this recipe is also dairy-free and gluten-free.
For this recipe, you will need the following:
- a head of cauliflower
- several cloves of garlic ( I used 4-5 cloves)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut milk (or almond milk, also unsweetened)
- salt and pepper to taste
- food processor
1) Start by chopping up the head of cauliflower and rinsing.
Also, peel several cloves of garlic. I like garlic a lot, not to mention it is GOOD for you, so I peeled this many, but as you can see, three of them were little!
2) Shove it all (cauliflower and garlic) in a steamer. I put the stove top heat on high and let it steam for about 15 minutes, or until I could easily put a knife through the cauliflower and garlic.
3. Now it's time for the food processor. Believe me, this is a better process than using an electric beater. WAY less mess, I promise. I just have a little 4-cup food processor, which makes me sad, but such is life. I had to blend the cauliflower/garlic up in 2 batches. Worked fine.
4. When you are blending - this is when you add your milk. Today I used coconut milk, because that is what I had in my refrigerator. In hindsight, I would prefer to use unsweetened almond milk because the coconut was a little sweeter than I would like. So I had to add more salt and pepper to offset that. Add a 1/2 cup of coconut milk.
5. I blended it all up in the food processor until it was smooth and added salt and pepper to taste. YUMMAY.
Of course, depending on your diet and preferences, you can use dairy milk in this recipe or add additional flavor by adding some butter. We didn't do either of those, and it still turned out great. Definitely fulfilled my mashed potato craving!